[erlang-questions] Truncation packing Integer into binary: bug or feature?

Edwin Fine <>
Fri Aug 22 19:01:24 CEST 2008

Thanks. I missed that one :(

Is that the one and only reference to that issue?

I agree that

"This behaviour might be surprising and it should probably be mentioned
in the reference manual ..."

and will raise a request to do exactly that.

Edwin Fine

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Christian <> wrote:

> It has been mentioned before on the list.
> http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2007-July/027657.html
> > Is this a bug or a feature? I know that in C, integers overflow silently.
> > would have thought Erlang would raise a badarg error or something. Or
> would
> > it negatively impact performance to check for overflow? Is there a place
> in
> > the docs I did not find that addresses this? I have searched the Erlang
> > documentation, Google and the Erlang mailing list archives for clues and
> > found nothing so far.

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C. Clarke