[erlang-questions] "Design patterns" for functional languages?

David Mitchell <>
Tue Aug 5 10:15:03 CEST 2008

G'day all,

I'm looking for a good source of "design patterns" information for
functional languages: Erlang in particular, but also applicable to
OCaml.  While I've written a smallish bunch of Erlang apps now and all
have gone reasonably well, I'm stuck with the feeling that I'm
reinventing some wheels in a less-than-optimal fashion.

Google shows up a bunch of sites containing functional design patterns
out there, but the ones I've examined don't seem to be particularly
... how can I put this? ... well thought out.

Does anyone have a good reference for functional design pattern info,
that's both well explained and covers a useful subset of real-life
cases?  I guess I'm looking for the functional equivalent of the Gang
of Four "Design Patterns" book, but focusing on functional languages
and preferably free.

David Mitchell