[erlang-questions] Extensions to comprehensions eeps

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Aug 1 02:13:30 CEST 2008

On 31 Jul 2008, at 10:05 pm, Hynek Vychodil wrote:
> I understand it, but I think this is wrong design decision. Compiler
> optimization should not impact language design, especially in so
> clear functional language as Erlang is.

Clearly you do not understand bitstring generators in Erlang.
THIS IS NOT A COMPILER OPTIMISATION.
Bitstring generators and list generators have fundamentally
different semantics.

> do_it(L) when is_list(L) -> [X+1, <<X>> <- L];
> do_it(B) when is_binary(B) -> [X+1, <<X>> <- B]. % [X+1, <<X>> <= B]
>
> should be same as
>
> do_it(Y) -> [X+1, <<X>> <- Y].

Except in this one specific and not very useful case
(iterating over bytes), this cannot possibly work.
Bitstring generators are NOT limited to iterating over
bytes.