[erlang-questions] abstract/static modules, multicast, and best practices

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Tue Apr 15 20:30:55 CEST 2008

Roberto Saccon wrote:
> I just received a direct mail from someone, who tried  to post on the
> Erlang  Mailing list, he tried everything ("I tryied posting directly
> the list site on google groups and sending an email. I also mailed the
> list owner, but never got a reply."),  but did not get through,so I am
> posting this on behalf of: Lasaro Camargos <lasaro@REDACTED>:
>
> ===================================
> [...]
> Second, recently I saw some discussion about abstract and static
> modules in erlang. The only material that I found seems to be an
> outdated academic paper (Parameterized modules in Erlang). Is there
> where I can learn more about these abstract and static modules and
> parameterized modules? Is the paper what has been implemented in
> erlang?

Yes, the implementation pretty much follows the paper. You can also
look at the slides on inheritance, to see some of the latest changes:
http://www.erlang.se/euc/07/papers/1700Carlsson.pdf

All of this is available in the latest R12 releases of Erlang.

Note that these are experimental features, not officially supported yet.

     /Richard

--
  "Having users is like optimization: the wise course is to delay it."
    -- Paul Graham