[erlang-questions] Sets from list then to list?

Hynek Vychodil vychodil.hynek@REDACTED
Mon Apr 7 11:04:15 CEST 2008

 Result = ordsets:to_list(ordsets:from_list([ {A,B} || {_X,_Y,A,_Z,B} <-
MyList]))

Up to some size it should be faster than sets and than lists:sort
Other possible way is:

Result = ordsets:to_list(
      lists:foldl(
         fun(S, {_X,_Y,A,_Z,B})-> ordsets:add_element(S, {A, B});
              (S, _                      )-> S
         end,
         ordsets:new(),
         MyList
      )
   )

Benchmark it for your purpose.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Alexander Lamb
<alexander.lamb@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello (list:-)
>
> Using list comprehension, I am building a list of tuples that I want
> unique and sorted.
>
> Is this a correct way of doing it:
>
> Result = sets:to_list(sets:from_list([ {A,B} || {_X,_Y,A,_Z,B} <-
> MyList]))
>
> Then sort the Result.
>
> The alternative would be to use one of the lists functions to copy
> elements into a new list and testing first at each insert if the
> element is already present.
>
> What is best?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex