[erlang-questions] : : gen_sctp:connect/5 change

Thu Apr 3 15:04:36 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 07:10:03AM -0400, Serge Aleynikov wrote:
> Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:23:19PM -0400, Serge Aleynikov wrote:
> > But..(speculating, not tested).. for the current gen_sctp:connect/5;
> > if an association comes in on a (passive) listen socket just while
> > connect/5 is called - it internally calls recv/2 and may receive
> > the unrelated #sctp_assoc_change{} for another IP:Port,
> > and regard this as an internal error (it assumes the
> > first message has to be the one it is waiting for).
> > I do not know how to work around this bug, if it exists.
> > One ugly way would to return all received unrelated events
> > with the {ok,...} or {error,...} value (shrug!).
>
> I think logically it is not valid to use connect calls from the "server"
> side (for the reason you mentioned) even though SCTP doesn't prohibit
> this behavior there's no way to know whether the association change
> message is for the prior connection setup request or for some incoming
> "client" connection.  Therefore, it's better to use a separate SCTP
> socket for listening and a separate one(s) for initiating client
> connections to other SCTP servers to avoid this race.

Very true but, if it is allowed by SCTP someone will want to do it.
Maybe we can just disallow connect on a listen socket and
call it a known limitation.

> > The code for active mode I have now does
> > receive {sctp,S,IP,Port,,..} if the socket is in active mode
> > so it is a selective receive, which would work better in this
> > scenario of competing incoming/outgoing #sctp_assoc_change{},
> > but this keeps the connect blocking. An option for non-blocking
> > connect is missing, or if the socket is active the connect
> > should be non-blocking and the caller should handle
> > the comm_up message...
>
> Perhaps this analysis could be done in the driver code and split the
> result in two messages #sctp_assoc_up{} and #sctp_assoc_change{}?

Sorry, you will have to elaborate. What should be analyzed
and what should be split?

If you mean the driver might check for correct IP andPort,
and that it is a #sctp_assoc_change{} while in state
connecting (that does not exist now), what will it do
with other recv() results?

I had a thought that prim_inet:connect/4 could return
the {active,true|false|once} state, which would make
that getopt atomic with respect to connect, but it
does still not help {active,false} and {active,once}
since if a message has been received it can not be undone.

> > And, if the user sets a too short timeout in connect/5 the
> > #sctp_assoc_change{state=comm_up} may arrive just after
> > the timeout. For passive mode this will not be noticed
> > until recv/2 is called (much) later. For active mode
> > the comm_up message arrives instantly in the inbox.
> > A well written caller would have to be ready for
> > these late messages anyway.
>
> Valid point.
>
> > So, there are subtle semantic differences between
> > connect/5 in passive vs active mode. And making connect/5
> > always non-blocking would remove the differences but
> > force the caller to handle the comm_up event the
> > right way... Which is the least bad alternative...?

> >    passive connect/5 that may be solved by making
> >    it non-blocking but that will be unconvenient.
> >    There might be other ways to solve that problem
> >    and maybe ther is no problem.
>
> The recommendation above on introducing #sctp_assoc_up{} would address
> this issue, but would "break" the existing 1-to-1 mapping of SCTP C
> structs to alike Erlang records.  The later may be a worthwhile sacrifice.

Explain more.

I am a fan of keeping 1-1 mapping, generally.

> > 2) Should connect/5 for active socket be non-blocking
> >    or not, or selectable. If connect/5 for passive
> >    socket is made non-blocking it should be the
> >    same for active socket.
>
> Agreed.

But, should simply connect/5 for active socket be non-blocking?

And only allow connect/5 on listen socket that is {active,true}?

> Regards,
>
> Serge

:
: