[erlang-questions] interest in fixing open_port to handle stderr ?

David Welton <>
Tue Sep 25 12:07:55 CEST 2007

I don't have the time to do this myself, nor probably the knowledge,
but is anyone else interested in seeing a version of open_port that
handles stderr a little better than it does?  Here's my half-formed

* Mixing stderr and stdout, as is possible now with the redir_stderr
option, isn't ideal if you want to know what's going to one, and
what's going to the other.

* Ideally, the port would send back messages along the lines of
{stdout, "blah blah blah"} and {stderr, "we lost R2!"}.

Just something that came to mind as a potential improvement, not a
critical need.

David N. Welton