[erlang-questions] I would never use python (was: separators before end)

Jay Parlar parlar@REDACTED
Fri Sep 21 22:01:31 CEST 2007

On 9/21/07, Minsloc Tarren <minsloc@REDACTED> wrote:
> self as required implicit parameter and a few other things. no, i dont
> know python much.

Then maybe you shouldn't make such broad statements :)

> are you saying python started as oo language ? i thought oo was added
> later, like in case of perl. which is another lang i played with a bit
> and abandoned. no bad feelings although it can be pretty cryptical. no
> drive to use it, though. but it made a nice glue between urlsnarf and
> mysql some six years back ;-).

Python did not in fact start as an OO language. But you know what?
Python is 15 years old. Many years ago, everything was re-written,
where it needed to be, to make the entire language object based.

> i have nothing against oop (erlang is kinda oop without oop ;-)))

I like OO for some things, I was just trying to point out a nice
feature of Python, that you don't need to program in an OO way, if you
don't want.

> if you knew ruby and python, you would have known that python is
> compiled (don't know if it even has an interpreter, but can be even
> compiled to native code),

No, I'm sorry, you are wrong. Python does get byte compiled, but
that's it, it's an interpreted language. There are various projects
out there that try to compile it down to native code, but the standard
Python used in 99.9% of projects is interpreted.

> i'm not saying it would be hard. i'm saying that python looks so ugly
> to me that trying to do so was (very) unpleasant. and as i code
> because i enjoy to do so, it was a no-go.

Well, most people find Python to be rather beautiful. No unnecessary
curly braces or 'end' statements, it's very clean and a lot like
pseudo-code. But, to each his/her own. If you don't like it, that's
fine :)

> java's popular, and i'm not going to learn it (i know the basics, and
> never had used it extensively, ugly as python, from different
> reasons). php is popular, but since i left it behind, i'm refusing
> real money because i don't like to code in it.

Sorry, I must not have explained properly, that was not my point. What
I'm saying, is that Ruby and Python are very similar to each other, so
if you become a Ruby master, then you might as well learn Python too.
It will be easy to learn once you understand Ruby, and you'll then get
access to the myriad of Python libraries out there.

Jay P.