[erlang-questions] separators before end

David Mercer dmercer@REDACTED
Thu Sep 20 18:16:36 CEST 2007

> And I've encountered people who refuse to use erlang because of the
> atom/Variable thing.  Teaching your brain to be able to switch idioms
> is good for it.  I suggest you try it more often.

I agree.  That sort of thinking has kept Lisp out of the mainstream.  All
sorts of things *I* would have designed differently with the Erlang
language.  However, I certainly don't think we should destabilize a
successful language to suit my personal preferences, particularly as I am
not the one who would program any of the changes.  Unless I'm willing to sit
down and write my own language (Mercerlang?), I suppose I'll take what the
Swedes give me and be thankful.

The big winner for the language is that it has been used to develop
extremely reliable systems.  If I have to wade through some non-Lisp-like or
non-C-like syntax to get that, I think I can manage, and not whine *too*
much.

I'd have designed English differently, too.

Cheers,

David