[erlang-questions] sizeof() FFI types

Thu Sep 13 09:30:23 CEST 2007

Regarding this suggestion being accepted as EEP 7...

I was a bit early adopting it. I thought it was very thought through,
and complete, but apparently it will benefit from more input from
erlang-questions to settle a bit.

Keep up working on the draft eep at http://muvara.org/crs4/erlang/ffi/
and we will see when it is appropriate to insert it in the Process.

Oh, and I have a suggestion about the actual ffi:call/2,3 functions.
Personally I would prefer an interface with tagged values:

    ffi:call(Port, {ReturnType,Function}, [TaggedVal]) ->
            {ReturnType,term()}
        ReturnType = type_tag()
        TaggedVal  = {type_tag(),Val}
        Val        = term()
        type_tag() = uchar|schar|...|pointer|size_t|ssize_t

e.g

    Pointer = {pointer,PointerVal} =
        ffi:call(Port, {pointer,malloc}, [{size_t,1024}]),
    void = ffi:call(Port, {void,free}, [Pointer]),

This would make the code more readable (resembling the C calls) IMHO,
and make the ffi values more self-contained; a return value can
directly be passed to another ffi function.