[erlang-questions] Message-sending performance

Paulo Sérgio Almeida psa@REDACTED
Sat Sep 8 11:52:38 CEST 2007

Hi David,

The problem here is that you are insisting on receiving messages by a
given order: {msg, X} with X <- [1..N].  Messages sent become
interleaved in the mailbox; when you try to remove, say {msg, 40000}
from the 1st process, there are already 10000s of messages in the
mailbox from the other process before that one, that must be scanned;
receive becomes very slow.

This is one of the problems one must be keeping an eye on: beware the
size of the mailbox. In your problem you will see that if you replace
receive by

                       receive {msg, _} -> ok end

the program will execute extremely fast, as with 1 process.

Regards,
Paulo

David King wrote:
> I've noticed that I can send 100,000 messages from one process to
> another very quickly (less than a second), but if I have two process
> send 50,000 messages each to a given process, it receives them very
> slowly (in my test, 36s). I found this using the mapreduce
> implementation in Joe's book where potentially thousands of processes
> are spawned and many (potentially very small) messages are sent.
>
> I assume that this is because the message queue is locked while
> sending and receiving messages. Is there any way to work around this
> so that having multiple processes sending many messages each isn't so
> slow? In my case I'd like the sender and receiver to be working
> simultaneously, so having each sender process send one large list
> isn't quite as efficient
>
> Here it is with one process:
>
> (nodename@REDACTED)11> message_streamer:stream_messages(100000).
> Receiving 10000 at 63356401790
> Receiving 20000 at 63356401790
> Receiving 30000 at 63356401790
> Receiving 40000 at 63356401790
> Receiving 50000 at 63356401790
> Receiving 60000 at 63356401790
> Receiving 70000 at 63356401790
> Receiving 80000 at 63356401790
> Receiving 90000 at 63356401790
> Done sending 100000 messages
> Receiving 100000 at 63356401790
> 100000 messages in 1s, 1.00000e+5 msg/s
>
> And here it is with two processes:
>
> (nodename@REDACTED)9> message_streamer:stream_messages(100000).
> Receiving 10000 at 63356401639
> Receiving 20000 at 63356401643
> Receiving 30000 at 63356401650
> Receiving 40000 at 63356401660
> Receiving 50000 at 63356401673
> Done sending 50000 messages
> Receiving 60000 at 63356401673
> Receiving 70000 at 63356401673
> Receiving 80000 at 63356401673
> Receiving 90000 at 63356401673
> Receiving 100000 at 63356401673
> Done sending 50000 messages
> 100000 messages in 36s, 2777.78 msg/s
>
> In the multiple-process case, it actually slows down as more messages
> are sent until one of the processes completes, and then it receives
> them all very quickly. Here's the code:
>
> --- code begins ---
> -module(message_streamer).
>
> -compile(export_all).
>
> stream_messages(N) ->
>    Self=self(),
>    Start=myapp_util:now(),
>
>    List=lists:seq(1,N),
>    Split_List=split_list(List,erlang:system_info(schedulers)),
>
>    lists:foreach(fun(Sublist) ->
>                      spawn_link(fun() ->
>                          lists:foreach(fun(Which) ->
>                                            Self ! {msg,Which}
>                                       end,
>                                     Sublist),
>                          io:format("Done sending ~p messages~n",
> [length(Sublist)])
>                        end)
>                    end, Split_List),
>    lists:foreach(fun(Which) ->
>                      case Which rem (N div 10) of
>                          0 ->
>                            io:format("Receiving ~p at ~p ~n",
> [...]

Paulo Sérgio Almeida                             Email: psa@REDACTED
Dep. Informatica - Universidade do Minho         Phone: +351 253 604451
Campus de Gualtar - 4710-057 Braga - PORTUGAL    Fax  : +351 253 604471