[erlang-questions] Intel Quad CPUs

Tobias Lindahl tobias.lindahl@REDACTED
Fri Sep 7 09:30:54 CEST 2007

Damien Morton wrote:
> Allow me to apologise in advance for my ignorance, but why do edoc type
> specifications look like function calls?

I am not sure if I misunderstand your question, but as others have
already explained, the parenthesis that make the types look like
function calls are necessary to distinguish between types and singleton
atoms.

The notation of a type with an atom followed by the closed parenthesis
represents a set of terms. The type integer() is the infinite set of all
possible integers. The type integer is the singleton type that only
consists of the atom 'integer'. In the same way the type atom() is the
infinite set consisting of all possible atoms, while the type atom is
the type consisting only of the atom 'integer'.

Consider the function

f(X) when is_atom(X) -> {atom, X};
f(X) when is_integer(X) -> {integer, X}.

This function has the type
(atom()|integer())-> {atom, atom()}|{integer, integer()}

Hope this sheds more light on the syntax with closed parenthesis. If you
are really asking something else, then please try to specify your
question more.

Best,
Tobias