[erlang-questions] Intel Quad CPUs

Tomasz Błachowicz tblachowicz@REDACTED
Mon Sep 3 16:40:08 CEST 2007

On 9/3/07, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:
> Tomasz Błachowicz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There is a bit of buzz around the erlang and its ability to utilize
> > modern multicore CPUs. Can you confirm that erlang/OTP application
> > should scale well if I deploy it on the machine equipped with new Intel
> > Quad CPU? Should I expect nearly double performance gain in relation to
> > Intel Duo CPU? Can you help my understand how the erlang way differs
> > from other programming language/platforms approaches to this very
> > important issue of these days?

(...)
> When I first came to Erlang (in 1992), I spent considerable
> time convincing myself that process-oriented modeling was
> every bit as powerful as OOM. At the time, I didn't fully
> appreciate the power of functional programming - nor was
> I familiar with Hoare's CSP:
>
> http://www.usingcsp.com/cspbook.pdf
>
> I was also a bit too enamored with OO in general. I'm over
> that now.
(...)

This is what I'm trying to do, indeed. I'm trying convince myself that
erlang way is worth further investigation. I've been Java/J2EE
developer for years now and my mind is used to OO and shared memory
concepts. In my case it is really hard to change well trained mind to
start thinking in completely new way. It's really fascinating and
beautiful process, though.

This is why I ask those questions i.e. quad CPU question. I want to
get practical proof the erlang apprach works. I just need the
explanation and please don't laugh at me :D

Regards,
Tom