[erlang-questions] Parametrized modules and the shell

Thomas Lindgren <>
Sat Sep 1 14:15:19 CEST 2007

I'm experimenting with parametrized modules, and have
a practical question: am I doing something wrong, or
do they just not work very well in the interactive
shell (R11B5)?

Two examples:

1. Create a concrete module, C = Mod:new(SubMod)
   then apply it: C:function(...)

   That crashed in the shell (badfun), but works in
compiled code.

2. Exported functions have new arities. My f/3 is
replaced by f/4 (passing the implicit parameters in
the extra arg, I assume). How should I invoke them?

A bit annoying when you work like I do, but I like the
concept. So, should the shell be upgraded? Should I
throw up my hands and go back to normal modules? Or is
there a better way of working with them?