[erlang-questions] beginner: implement a cache/memoization

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Wed Oct 31 10:06:12 CET 2007

greetings,

i was going to recommend loop data in a list but a quick search gave me
this example for the Bernoulli function (found on
http://en.literateprograms.org/Bernoulli_numbers_(Erlang)):

bernoulli(N) ->
     Name = bernoulli,
     case ets:info(Name) of
     undefined -> ets:new(Name, [public, named_table]);
     _ -> true
     end,
     case ets:lookup(Name, N) of
     [] ->
         Val = bernoulli_i(N),
         ets:insert(Name, {N, Val}),
         Val;
     [{N, Val}] -> Val
     end.

changing to another function and limiting the ets table to 1000 items is
left as an exercise for the reader :-).

bengt
Those were the days...
    EPO guidelines 1978: "If the contribution to the known art resides
    solely in a computer program then the subject matter is not
    patentable in whatever manner it may be presented in the claims."