[erlang-questions] Restrict epmd to one IP address?

Erik A. Onnen eonnen@REDACTED
Wed Oct 31 07:24:29 CET 2007

nindeu@REDACTED wrote:
>>> Just searched a while for an option to bind epmd to a specific IP
>> address. On my system it binds to all available IP addresses. Hmm, nothing so
>> far. Do I really have to install a firewall because of epmd?
>>> How do you deal with epmd? Any better options?
>
> Good to know. But still, epmd listens on 0.0.0.0:4369. Any other suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> Eric

Looking at source for R11B-5, epmd_int.h explicitly sets the address of
the socket struct to INADDR_ANY (or IN6ADDR_ANY_INI for ipv6). So you're
really at the mercy of the OS. Certain BSDs will choose the "default"
interface, Linux will choose all interfaces, can't speak for Windows or Mac.

-erik