[erlang-questions] R12 snapshots

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Tue Oct 30 22:46:42 CET 2007

Hi,

The B as used in R10B, R11B, R12B has historical reasons.
When the Erlang/OTP started as a product within Ericsson even before it
became Open Source we started with R1A as a kind of beta-release which
was then followed by R1B as the stable release. We then continued in
that manner with R2A as a beta release followed by R2B a few months
later.
The same procedure have then been repeated with a few exceptions with
for example R5A, R5B and R5C. Somewhere along the road we became so
confident regarding our quality that we skipped the A releases and
went directly to the B release and that's where we are now.

Today we have R11B as a major release and then R11B-0,R11B-1,
...R11B-5 as service releases.

Next major release will be R12B (coming real soon now)

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP team at Ericsson