[erlang-questions] A more parallel widefinder

Anders Nygren anders.nygren@REDACTED
Mon Oct 29 19:54:38 CET 2007

One more try.
This one tries to do more in the workers and as little as possible in
the central controller.

The controller only
- starts workers, and maintains a specific number of workers.
- prints the results

Each worker
- opens the file and reads a chunk
- finds the first and last newlines in the chunk
- sends the partial line at the beginning of the chunk
to the worker processing the previous chunk
- processes its chunk, excluding the initial and final
partial lines
- receives a partial line from from the worker that handles
the next chunk
- concatenates and process the last line

The sequential control part now takes ~180 ms
A worker processing a 200kbytes chunk takes ~1.7 ms
So it will scale better to more cores than the previous versions.

I estimate that on Steve's 8 core it will run at ~ 0.3 s.

It is actually slightly faster than my previous wfinder1_1 even
on a dual core.

/Anders