[erlang-questions] Erlang implementations for deployment

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Mon Oct 29 16:17:04 CET 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 03:37:07PM +0100, Kenneth Lundin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The term Commercial Erlang is out dated. There used to be be a
> "commercial" version with some extra components compared with the Open
> Source version but that was 10 years ago or so.
> Today there is only one version of Erlang OTP and that is what we
> deliver as Open Source Erlang.
>
> When it comes to support we (Ericsson Erlang/OTP team) can
> unfortunately not deliver new support license contracts because of
> administrative reasons (has been like that several years now) but we
> are working on it and will hopefully in due time come to an
> arrangement that works.
>
> Erlang on Linux is a good choice, Linux x86 is probably the most used
> platform for deployment of systems written in Erlang.
>
> /Kenneth Erlang/OTP team at Ericsson
>
> On 10/29/07, Jack Orenstein <jao@REDACTED> wrote:
> > Do production systems tend to be deployed using the open source
> > implementation of Erlang? Or is Ericsson's Commercial Erlang more
> > common? I'm particularly interested in running Erlang on Linux.

For what it's worth, I deploy OTP applications for routing telephony calls
(among many other uses) on solaris 8, solaris 9, and solaris 10 production
telephony systems requiring 24x7 uptime.

We have been using OTP in this capacity for over 5 years with much success.

-Rick