[erlang-questions] Design methodology going from Object oriented to functional programming?

YC yinso.chen@REDACTED
Tue Oct 23 04:41:26 CEST 2007

Actually, at the level you are describing, there should be no difference
between FP and OOP.

While OOP definitely emphasize data and relations, it is not the only
paradigm that does so - and given your background you should be experienced
with the relational paradigm, which has even heavier emphasis on data and
relations, but is not OOP.

To leverage your knowledge on relations - you can pretend sql queries are
functions, i.e. select is a function, update is a function, and insert is a
function.  Then instead of writing

object.insert()

you write

insert (object) - which looks a lot like the sql query insert into table ...

That's it.  In the Java style OOP the head of the statement is an object,
and in FP the head of the statement is a function name.  But in either case
you need to model the same world.

An extremely crude way of thinking about FP is that it decouples the data
from the function (or vice versa, that OOP couples functions and data).
That means some facilities that you've taken for granted in OOP, such as
inheritance, polymorphism, etc., will no longer be available.  But FP have a
different approaches to address these problems, and that's where the rubber
meet the road.

Erlang's process model is basically the Actor model - the idea of everything
is an actor feels similar to everything is an object in OOP.  So as others
have alluded to instead of thinking in objects you can think in processes.
But Actor model is independent of FP or OOP, so you would still have to get
used to the FP part in Erlang.

You might want to check out http://www.math.chalmers.se/~rjmh/Papers/whyfp.html
<http://www.math.chalmers.se/%7Erjmh/Papers/whyfp.html>.  A higher level
introduction is http://www.defmacro.org/ramblings/fp.html.