[erlang-questions] EPIPE and TCP sockets

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg@REDACTED
Mon Oct 15 12:06:47 CEST 2007

Bruce Fitzsimons wrote:
> I saw the same sort of issue in a rant against the jabber/XMPP protocol;
> it treats TCP as "reliable" in an application to application sense. TCP
> isn't, although 99% of the time it is probably close enough.

Indeed. I'm investigating this as part of thinking about "reliable
delivery" (in all its manifold senses) in AMQP.

> I'd still like to
> use the SCTP support in Erlang to demonstrate XMPP over SCTP and see
> what sort of improvements it might give

The next rev of AMQP will support SCTP as a transport for the protocol.

> There is a way using getsockopt to find out if there is a tcp buffer of
> unsent/un-acked data, but I believe it is *linux-specific*

Interesting! Thanks. The platform-specificity rules it out for this
application, but it's good to know for future reference.

Regards,
  Tony
--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060