[erlang-questions] "Erlang plus BDB: Disrupting the Conventional Web Wisdom"

Yariv Sadan yarivsadan@REDACTED
Sat Oct 13 00:03:20 CEST 2007

On 10/12/07, Claes Wikstrom <klacke@REDACTED> wrote:
> Nigel Head wrote:
> > On 10/11/07, *Claes Wikstrom* <klacke@REDACTED
>

> >     BDB is certainly a fine DB, but don't forget it's really expensive
> >     unless you're whipping up a db backend for your local high school
> >     or some such.
> >

> > Does anyone know how this could / should / has been interpreted in the
> > case of that other slightly less prominent scripting language called
> > erlang ??
> >

> Well that is hardly the issue here, the issue is weather I can use
> BDB for commercial use. Sure I can if I pay - a lot.
>
> And the "a lot" is also so much so they don't even dare quote the
> number on the website. There is nothing wrong with commercial software,
> hell I do that for a living. It's just that the problem we as Erlangers have
> here isn't that we lack an open source DB, we have one which is just fine.
> The problem we have, is that Mnesia ain't that good at storing large
> amounts of data - due to dets.
>
> An alternative for Mnesia to BDB, could possibly be gdbm as a storage
> backend. We lack a good storage, not a good transaction manager. IMHO.
>

> /klacke

We can use both Postgres and MySQL from Erlang. With ErlyDB, using
those DBMS's is just as Erlangy as Mnesia for most CRUD and SELECT
operations -- you don't have to write SQL by hand. Many big sites run
on MySQL (YouTube, Flickr, Facebook...), so it definitely scales.

In Vimagi, I use MySQL for persistent data and Mnesia for live session
data. It works great, even on a RAM-constrained VPS.

I don't think Erlangers lack options when it comes to high-volume
storage. It's not BDB, Mnesia, or bust :)

Regards,
Yariv