[erlang-questions] Where is 13th International Erlang/OTP User Conference going to be?

G Bulmer gbulmer@REDACTED
Thu Oct 11 20:37:12 CEST 2007

Francesco, thank you for your help.

On 11 Nov 2007, at 19:05, Francesco Cesarini wrote:

>> The OTP course looks interesting, but I must admit, I'll have to
>> reorganise things, I am currently planning to be in the states
>> 'till 6th Nov.
> The next scheduled ones are in London in November and South Africa
> in December.
Unfortunately, I am currently committed to seeing a very dear friend
for Loy Krathong during the week of the London course, and South
Africa is a bit of a stretch for my own interest, even for me!

>> Is the OTP course starting 5th Nov. a hands-on course? The course
>> approach isn't clear to me.
> Very much hands on. About 50% of the time is dedicated to
> exercises. They consists in building a banking system, where the
> gen_server is the database and the FSM is the ATM machine. (Web
> banking APIs and the ATM graphics are provided).
That sounds very interesting.

>> Would it be a reasonable level if all my Erlang experience has
>> been based on Joe's book, and 'hacking around'?
> Yes. Everyone at all levels (Assuming they have a programming
> background and have used Erlang) who attends an OTP course will get
> out the knowledge needed based on their entry level. This will vary
> from the person who just attended an Erlang course the week before
> to the developer who has worked with Erlang for over a year and is
> now making sure he has not missed anything. Only issue with this
> course is that 5 days will be compressed into 4, so the tempo will
> be higher.
Can you help my giving some suggestions on useful preparations to do
ahead of time? A little bit of brushing up over then next few weeks
might reduce the impact of that compression. Based on what you've
said, Joe's Mnesia and gen server chapters would be useful.

>> Has anyone been on the course, who is also familiar with the
>> contents of Joe's book? Have you got comments about the course
>> that you could share?
> I need to leave that to others who attended.
Okay, fair comment.

There are chapters on OTP, and Mnesia. How would you rate the breadth
and depth of the course vs the contents of the book? For example, do
you think the course fills in many of the details and also practices
it, and/or do you feel the course is much broader? Or is there some
other benefit?