[erlang-questions] Stateful gen_servers

David King dking@REDACTED
Sun Oct 7 03:45:17 CEST 2007

> I would like to use gen_server to develop a stateful server, and
> since gen_servers are  generally communicated using module:function
> (arg) syntax, what's the best way to use them as stateful servers
> per client, i.e., each for each client a gen_server is started and
> is terminated when client asks explicitly or when client is
> terminated. Thanks.

You could have each client do something like:

Session=my_server:logon(),
Cookie=my_server:get_cookie(Session),
my_server:eat_cookie(Session,Cookie), [...]

Then in the server, the State field could have a dict of Sessions
(generated via make_ref()?) to state information

If that's not enough, I have a tictactoe server that I wrote recently
that maintains the states of games this way, so let me know if you
want some live code that does this