[erlang-questions] Surprising conclusion in . Parallel programming environments: less is more

jm jeffm@REDACTED
Sat Oct 6 03:34:13 CEST 2007

Heading off topic here....

Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> would you mind explaining what you want the new language to be better _at_?
> otherwise it is really easy to suggest swedish since it is much better
> at talking to swedes :-)

As a native Swedish speaker you most likely haven't noticed that there
is a lack of (free) introductory Swedish material on the Internet. This
seems rather surprising given how up the swedes are on the Internet.
There's a few Italian, Spanish, Mandarin, German, Greek, even Russian
and Pinoy (Tagalog) podcasts for foreign language students. For the more
popular languages
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers)
there are even free on-line courses. Search as I might there doesn't
appear to be much out there for Swedish. Here I would have thought that
the Swedish govt would have had something as part of promoting "the
Swedish perspective" much like the BBCs brief from the British govt.
Strangely enough the BBC actually has quite a good selection of foreign
language material (http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/ ). Especially strange
given that the English sometimes have a reputation for being xenophobic.
The best I've come across has been fsi
(http://fsi-language-courses.com/) which looks promising, but really
don't have any idea as to how good it is in practice having not tried it
nor knowing anyone who has.

So native Swedish speakers here's you chance to promote the learning of
Swedish. Speak up and recommend good free Swedish learn material
available online.

Now I just need find the time.

Jeff.
ps. Just took a quick look at Australia's national broadcaster, the ABC
(http://www.abc.net.au/), to see how well Australia stacks up with
English as a second language education on-line. I embarrassed to say not
very well. I'm hoping it's just that I'm looking it the wrong place.
Searching the government domains, use site:gov.au on google, does turn
up lots of bits and pieces mostly by the state govts (State govts are
responsible for education in Australia). Not sure how much of this is free.