[erlang-questions] Can't build on new Sun T2?

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Sat Oct 6 01:51:39 CEST 2007

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 21:27:38 +0200 (CEST), Per Hedeland wrote:
> Good point, and I'll raise you one: If the (non-meta) <sigh>, in
> response to a user that is encountering absurdly weird errors(*),
> whether he tried to find the answer in the mailing list archives and
> failed or simply couldn't bother, comes from one of the people working
> on the component that causes these absurdly weird errors to happen in
> the first place, it's bordering on being offensive.

There's a bug in Sun's toolchain. Should I as I HiPE developer feel
guilty about triggering it? H*ll no. I did not _cause_ the problem,
Sun did. It's not my job to bend over backwards to accomodate every
**** bug out there, especially when there are viable workaorunds.

Did per@REDACTED ever contribute code to solve this problem? No.

> OK, to be a bit constructive - wouldn't it be possible to have a
> configure test for HiPE that identified these kinds of problems, and
> caused HiPE to be disabled with an appropriate warning message, without
> failing the build altogether?

Given the amount of grief Sun's crap toolchain is causing us,
I wouldn't be opposed to not autoenabling HiPE on Solaris/SPARC.

/Mikael

(highly restrained, could have used a _lot_ more four letter words,
only representing myself not the HiPE group in general)