[erlang-questions] benchmarks game harsh criticism

Isaac Gouy igouy2@REDACTED
Wed Nov 28 22:07:55 CET 2007

--- Jack Orenstein <jao@REDACTED> wrote:

> Going off on a hopefully interesting tangent ...
>
> On Wed, November 28, 2007 1:45 pm, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> >
> > I do remember a comment from Ulf Wiger to the effect that the
> Erlang VM
> > seemed to reach peak performance after 24 hours of constant load,
> which
> > he thought very appropriate given the intended uses.
>
> Can someone confirm this and explain the cause?

Perhaps it was an off-the-cuff remark that was not intended to be taken
too seriously ;-)

> I have worked in Java for many years and learning Erlang now. There
> is a similar phenomenon in Java as the just-in-time compiler compiles
> frequently used code paths. But for the applications I've worked on,
> this tends to get done within the first few minutes or hours.

For some of the tiny benchmarks game programs

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/miscfile.php?file=dynamic&title=Java%20Dynamic%20Compilation