[erlang-questions] Forget Erlang on the Java VM. More language on the Erlang VM are needed!

Marten Feldtmann itlists@REDACTED
Wed Nov 28 19:59:37 CET 2007

Thomas Lindgren schrieb:
> Alteon had the right mindset too: they saw Erlang not
> as a risk but as a competitive advantage. So, in
> essence: try to skip the risk-averse ...
>
> Best,
> Thoma
The same sentence can be heard in the Smalltalk community
again and again - but this is not really interesting in the
mainstream and it does not produce jobs very often.

I've heard a talk about a SAP group creating a working prototype
using Smalltalk for a problem in within one week where other groups
in SAP were working several month on it - without a solution.

Actually after getting the solution with several customers they
gave it to another group in SAP and to programmers in india to
reimplement the job in Java again.

There were also discussions about putting Smalltalk on the JVM - most
of the people agree, that this might bring more Smalltalk developers
to the community - but also most of the people agree, that this will
also kill the technological advantages of Smalltalk - e.g. the
light processes within the image and the tremendous highly interactive
GUI.

I actually think, that success of languages are based either on
enormous financial power/interests (Microsoft, IBM, SUN) - or
on other issues like c syntax, flat source code managements like
CVS or Subversion, Eclipse - actually we have to deal with
programmers, which are mostly human beings. Life can be very
simple.

Marten