[erlang-questions] Forget Erlang on the Java VM. More language on the Erlang VM are needed!

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Wed Nov 28 16:04:15 CET 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 2:35 PM, Michael Regen wrote:

> Therefore I can see huge advantages if Erlang would run under the
> industry
> standard JVM. Maybe no technical advantages - besides possibly
> easier Java
> integration. Maybe even some disadvantages. But for me it makes a
> difference
> if I can sell my Erlang solutions or just go over to the next pitch.
> So, the
> question for me is rather be what would we lose with another VM.

I may be wrong here but the advantages of using Java over Erlang for
the CIO lie not so much in the technical merits of Java as in the deep
pool of Java developers. It follows that a deep pool of developers
translates into a deep pool of knowledge.

A client I'm working with is not able to use Erlang at his startup
since he simply cannot hire Erlang programmers in the US. I'm building
up a team of developers around Wager Labs and I hope Francesco does
not mind the competition ;-). Still, I don't think one or two Erlang
consultancies are going to make a large enough impact.

Dave Thomas of Pragmatic Programmers is rolling out courses together
with Joe Armstrong but Erlang will keep being a novelty for some time
to come. The biggest impact that YOU can make is to roll out cool
Erlang-based projects.

CouchDB counts, Erlyweb not so much. People want to buy 1/4 holes and
not 1/4 drills. Be bold, go beyond what other people have gone before
you. Push Erlang towards unproven applications, don't push Erlang into
the "enterprise". Once the enteprise is awed, Erlang will make its way
into the enterprise.

As it stands, most of the current examples of applying Erlang can be
thought of as irrelevant to the enterprise. Telecom? Bah, our business
could not be different! I'm hoping to show in the upcoming "Hardcore
Erlang" book that nothing can be further from the truth, after all, as
someone said, "Your trading app is one big honking router!".

	Cheers, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com