[erlang-questions] Forget Erlang on the Java VM. More language on the Erlang VM are needed!

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Wed Nov 28 14:34:08 CET 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 1:14 PM, Michael Regen wrote:

> I guess the argument that Erlang's performance will certainly be
> lower under
> another VM is right.

This maybe harsh but I think anyone striving for Erlang on the XXX VM
gets it completely and irreversibly wrong! It's not the _syntax_ that
gives Erlang its greatest advantage. In fact, I hate the syntax. What
gives Erlang its ultimate advantage is the VM!

The VM is what enables lightweight processes, etc. etc. etc. It has
been mentioned more than a few times that Core Erlang is Lambda
Calculus. Compile to Core Erlang or directly to the Beam bytecode.
Take advantage of the Erlang VM!

There will be absolutely and positively no advantage of running Erlang
on the JVM, CLR, Mono, Lisp or what have you. There's just no other
Erlang VM out there, nothing that implements lightweight processes,
message passing, great support for binaries, etc.

Write Lisp on the Erlang VM, write Haskell or a new language with an
elegant syntax. Throw your lot into improving the existing VM.

	Thanks for listening, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com