[erlang-questions] Erlang vs Clojure

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Nov 28 14:14:40 CET 2007

Ludovic Coquelle skrev:
> And mono support already F#.
> What is the advantage to port Erlang VM to any other VM (JVM or CLR of
> .NET)? the fault-tolerant behaviour of Erlang is mainly due to its VM,
> isn't it so?

I don't know about that (although the robustness of the VM itself is a
major contributor to the stability of erlang-based products).

Much of the fault tolerance comes from the share-nothing semantics
and process linking/monitoring. This would obviously come along
regardless of which VM Erlang would be ported to, otherwise few Erlang
programs would work at all.

I can imagine that performance might suffer on another VM, but I can
also imagine lots of applications where this is not nearly as crucial
as interoperability.

BR,
Ulf W