[erlang-questions] erl REALLY slow to startup

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Nov 27 09:44:35 CET 2007

I hade a similar problem with ubuntu (long startup time) - use
something like strace or truss
(I think on a mac you must use ktrace and kdump) to dump all system
calls in a file. Then  you can stare
at these to see which call took a long time (on ubuntu it was a
symbolic link that was broken which caused
the font cache to be rebuilt every time I created a new window) -
nothing to do with Erlang at all - just a broken
system that happens to bite you when you start Erlang.

/Joe