[erlang-questions] benchmarks game harsh criticism (was Learning Erlang from the scratch)

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Nov 23 15:57:37 CET 2007

I've been following various discussions about benchmarks, and must say
that I am not impressed.

The general arguments seems to go like this:

    language A is good at X
    language B is good at Y
    language B is bad at X

   Therefore hack language B so that it is good at X

    This argument has appeared many times with different values of A B
X and Y - usually by a proponent of
A who because A solves X better than B assumes that A is in some sense
better than B.

     The problem is that this argument is just plain daft.

     If A is good at solving X then use it to solve X. If B is good at
solving Y then use it to solve Y.

     Suppose we change B to make it good at solving X, what have we done? - make
yet another variant of A.

    In changing B to be good at solving X it might no longer be good
at solving Y.

   So sure we could make Erlang a lot faster - for example to make
regexps really fast all we have to do
is link the C code for regexps into the Erlang kernel - but it would
no longer be safe. We could make all
function calls go a lot faster, but we could no longer change code on-the-fly.

   Anything can be speeded up - but at the cost of some other system
property - I think its nonsense to assume that
a single language will be good at everything. An essential part of
systems analysis is knowing what languages
are good for solving specific problems. Benchmarks are useful here -
but they hardly tell me something I don't know
already. Languages that deliberately abstract away from memory will be
necessarily less efficient than languages
that expose the structure of memory - but at the cost of being more
difficulty to program if you need to dynamically
relocate the memory or change the code ...

At the end of the day you have to ask does the whole system work in a
satisfactory manner, and not get hung up
over the details of this little part or thing being efficient or
inefficient. Scanning log files efficiently (for example) would
be very important If it has to be done every few seconds - but if it
is done one a year the performance is totally irrelevant.

Making systems involves a lot more than making the individual bits run
fast - it involves gluing the bits
together in a way that is understandable - staring at the individual
compensate and not seeing their relationship to the whole
is a waste of time. Timing individual code is also irrelevant - the
only interesting question is "is this time within my time budget"

Remember what the old masters said - get it right first. Then make it
fast (if you need to) - Some of our Erlang systems have
become market leading and have achieved amazing figures for
reliability - despite the fact that they boot slowly,
have appalling performance at matching regular expressions and can't
analyse giga bytes of disk logs efficiently.
These latter three points are irrelevant for the types of system we build.

/Joe Armstrong