[erlang-questions] idea: ml9 (sort of) in the erlang shell

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Thu Nov 22 23:14:36 CET 2007

Oh, I should also mention that I've tried to make the changes as
safe as possible. The extended shell handling is actually triggered
as an evaluated command, like this:

{[{call,_,{atom,_,raw_exprs},
		   [AbstEnv, AbstText]}],_V,_CommandN}

The raw_exprs/2 function is then evaluated (and can be blocked in the
restricted shell), so if there are bugs in the code that follows, it's
similar to a normal crash in evaluated code. It doesn't kill the whole
shell.

The error handling for the output filters can and should be improved.
Right now, a badly written filter can cause the shell to terminate.
It should be a rather easy fix, once one decides what /should/ happen
when an output filter crashes.

BR,
Ulf W