[erlang-questions] clarify: Erlang syntax, unbound variables, and parse transforms

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Thu Nov 22 08:32:23 CET 2007

Hi!

On Nov 22, 2007 12:11 AM, Matthew Dempsky <matthew@REDACTED> wrote:
> According to section 6.2 of the Erlang Reference Manual, ``[u]nbound
> variables are only allowed in patterns.''  Whether this restriction is
> part of Erlang's syntax or its semantics is unclear to me; in
> particular, I would like to know how it interacts with parse
> transforms.

The Erlang compiler is only aware of the code's structure *after* the
parse transforms are applied, so the only restriction for "before
parse transforms" is the syntax.

best regards,
Vlad