[erlang-questions] how: instatiate a parameterized ASN.1 type

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Mon Nov 19 22:43:25 CET 2007

The cross-posting from the trapexit forum does not seem to work, so I
apologise for the duplication...

I have managed to implement my own instance (called tetraIsiMessage) of the
operation type from X.880 and would like to use this to instantiate the ROSE
type, but I cannot figure out how to do this.

The ROS type from Remote-Operations-Generic-ROS-PDUs has to be instantiated
before one can use it for something and I have tried numerous variations
over the following to no avail:

myInvokeIdSet InvokeId ::= present:2

tetraIsiROS ::= ROS{myInvokeIdSet, tetraIsiMessage, tetraIsiMessage}

As soon as I add the 'tetraIsi ::= ...' line the compiler starts complaining
about the definition of myInvokeIdSet which works just fine without the last
line.

For your reference...
ROSE is defined in X.880 and the ASN.1 files for it can be downloaded from
the ITU web site:
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/asn1/database/itu-t/x/x880/1994-TC1/index.html

I am very close to throwing the whole auto-generation from ASN.1 definitions
away and start implementing my encoder and decoder by hand, but... I would
really like to avoid messing with BER encoding/decoding and let the asn1ct
compiler take care of that for me!!

Cheers,
Torben