[erlang-questions] idea: function meta data

G Bulmer gbulmer@REDACTED
Fri Nov 16 17:27:03 CET 2007

IMHO, there seems to be two different things being described, and
hence they may have different requirements and solutions.

When I think of introspection, I think of mechanisms which enable
code to manipulate other code at run time.

I want introspection to assist with developing tooling. For example
test tools that will automatically find a bunch of functions and test
them, or a tool that will autogenerate web service interfaces to a
bunch of functions, etc. I'd like these tools to work even when
source code is unavailable.

I would expect to have functions to get a list of function names +
type signatures from a module at run time.
I would expect to be able to call any of the functions identified
using that list. I would expect to be able to construct a (type)
valid parameter list for any of the functions from that same function
meta data. I do not expect the source code to be available.

In order for these types tools to be reasonably robust, the
information they use needs to conform to a very well specified
syntax, or type.
I would like those guarantees to be provided by the compiler, as much
as practical. I would like the information to *always* be parsed and
checked, and the compilation to fail if they do not conform to
specification.
I would like the information embedded into the compiled file
(e.g. .erl), so that I can be confident that it is in synch. with the
source at the time of compilation, and to reduce the hassles of
packaging and distributing code.

I am willing to have a small number of conventions layered on top,
but only a few, please, I would like the information in code modules
to be well defined and stable for the next 5+ years.

On the other hand, adding stuff for human beings, like helpful
comments, seems to me to be different.

I would like human-readable information to be spell checked, but I
wouldn't want compilation (by default) to fail if there were a
spelling mistake, or a word that is simply not in the dictionary,
e.g. autogenerate. I expect human-readable content to have the same
quality as documentation.

I also don't feel that I need human-readable content in the compiled
code because I am happy having it in the documentation! I think that
it makes sense for the documentation to follow a different process to
the compiled code, especially if there are multiple Human languages
supported. I can see there is a lot of value in having some helpful
comment conventions, but I don't see that these need to be as
strictly managed as language syntax because they are intended to be
consumed by humans, and not programs.

Put another way, I am happy for documentation to be extracted from
source code and injected into the documentation process, but I don't
feel the documentation process *needs* to depend on compiled code.
Nor do I expect all documentation to come from source code files.

So, IMHO, there seems to be two different sets of requirements, and
they don't need to have a single solution.

In my mind, machine-readable information being extracted from parsed
source and being embedded the code is tidy, and logical. Human-
readable documentation being extracted from comments is fine, but
embedding it in compiled code seems to be optional. I don't feel it
should be necessary to issue a new version of code modules just
because there is documentation available in a new Human language.

I think that the function name (and type signature) tie tmachine
readable and Human-readable information together, and ideally should
not be repeated, and should be parsed at the highest level of
quality, i.e. by the compiler.

So, putting issues of how to implement aside for a second, I would
like the function type-signatures to become part of the source code
(I'm okay using pre-processor syntax to delimit it), hence the type
signature must follow Erlang syntax (or an extended Erlang syntax, I
suppose); the type signature should not be hidden in a text string or
comment. The type signature should be embedded in the compiled code.

I am happy if human-readable stuff stays in comments with some
helpful conventions, and it may or may not end up in the compiled
code, and I would like to choose.

Just my $0.02 worth
G Bulmer