[erlang-questions] idea: function meta data

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Fri Nov 16 11:00:45 CET 2007

2007/11/16, Esbjörn Dominique <esbjorn@REDACTED>:
> It is indeed a very nice idea!
> But what about using the (in many cases already existing) EDoc tags?
> Possibly with some form of meta header to enable/disable the
> information in a module.

I like this, the only problem is that edoc is very complete as it
should be, while one just want a short summary or mainly the
order/names of arguments as help in the shell. Perhaps one can
establish a norm to make the first sentence of edoc a good summary
that should be useful on its own.

How would one access the help texts from the shell? I guess it would
be most intuitive if auto-completion would display them.

1> lists:la<TAB>
lists:last(List) :: [A] -> A    - Returns the last item of a list
1> lists:la