[erlang-questions] Lets build a stock exchange!

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@REDACTED
Thu Nov 15 20:23:47 CET 2007

> My problem is I don't see why *I* would run a stock exchange
> application, so I don't see why *I* would run Amazon EC2 instances.
> On the other hand, I do see why I and others might want to run EC2
> instances for auctions.
> A plausible explanation for why I'd run the stock exchange
> application would help me a lot.

I don't imagine that many people would want to run a stock exchange or
auction software themselves.  But, I think that is not the point.  The
point is that _many_ of us (potential readers of the book) might
want/need to build systems that have similar properties (distributed,
fault tolerant, low-latency, etc.) to these systems.  At that level, I
also don't care what the book uses as an example - as long as the
example demonstrates the relevant ideas.  To me low-latency is really
important.