[erlang-questions] idea: service pack one

Matthew Dempsky <>
Wed Nov 14 08:35:41 CET 2007

On 11/13/07, Alex Alvarez <> wrote:
> There are several open implementations of amf
> (http://osflash.org/documentation/amf) around,

eswf has code for transforming to and from AMF0 and AMF3:

(However, we don't use this particular code in any production services
yet, so beware there may be dragons.)

> and I believe that Flex 2 is already open-sourced, which are big pluses.

Adobe announced that they will have an open source Flex SDK by early
2008, but it's not there yet.  The Flex 2 SDK includes the source code
for the MX libraries.  The Tamarin project is working on a
self-hosting ECMAScript 4 (aka ActionScript 3) compiler, but last I
read it's not ready for general use yet.  Also, I don't think it
handles anything but generating ES4 bytecode.  I haven't heard of
anything about open sourcing the remaining functionality of mxmlc
(e.g., embedding assets, handling MXML, generating SWF tags), though
those are comparatively minor tasks.