[erlang-questions] idea: service pack one

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Wed Nov 14 00:36:13 CET 2007

On 11/13/07, Yerl <yerl@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> >       repeat after me: client = flash in the browser, server = erlang.
> > Intermediate protocol = flash AMF
> >

> Cool slogan, but I prefer this one :
> Repeat after me : client = flash in the browser with OpenLaszlo*, server
> = erlang
> Intermediate protocol = UBF**
>
> * http://www.openlaszlo.org/
> ** http://www.sics.se/~joe/ubf/site/home.html

That's a nice dream, but OpenLaszlo doesn't support AS3 (SWF 9) so it
can't talk arbitrary TCP (UBF) and it doesn't have the same speed or
capabilities as you'd get from the Flex 2 SDK. If you were adamant
about going with something non-Adobe I'd think more about haXe than
OpenLaszlo.

I don't really see the point in talking UBF when AMF is going to be
more efficient for the client to deal with, and the code would be more
generally useful since it's a (de facto) standard.

-bob