[erlang-questions] clarify: gen_udp Set outbound ip address

mog <>
Tue Nov 13 15:13:21 CET 2007

> >gen_udp:open(Port, [binary, {active, false}, {reuseaddr, true}, {ip,
> >Addr}, {add_membership, {Addr, LAddr}}]).
> >
> >Where Addr is my multicast Ip, LAddr is my network ip, so sent messages
> >are received as instead of
> Hm, I'm afraid I still can't parse the "message received as address"
> part:-) - are you referring to the source address of the multicast
> packets you send out? If so, why would you expect it to be anything
> other than the unicast address of the sender? Sending packets with a
> multicast source address should be almost as bad as sending with a
> broadcast source address, and such packets will probably be dropped by
> most receiving stacks.

So udp packets have the following structure.
| Source Address    |
| Dest Address      |
| Etc               |
so I have machine A which is in the multicast loop,, and its
local address and machine B which is not, lets say

so Machine B sends Machine A a packet which looks like
| Source Address:  |
| Dest Address:   |
which is right it is and it sent a packet to machine A via
its multicast address.

when I respond, so machine A sends message to machine B it looks like
| Source Address:  |
| Dest Address:  |
which is not what i want. I want this

| Source Address:   |
| Dest Address:  |

Now im not talking about the protocol im using im talking about the
lowest level udp/ip part of the packet that erlang builds for me.

thanks for your time everyone