[erlang-questions] Lets build a stock exchange!

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Mon Nov 12 02:37:06 CET 2007

On Nov 11, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Anthony Kong wrote:

> But I think people here may want to model NYSE. After all more people
> are familiar with NYSE's operations, and the final implementation will
> be more attractive to general public out there.

Anyone familiar with the NYSE operations? Any documents out there?

> I guess a question back to Joel: how
> do you manage the scope? It is really no easy task.

I think I'll go bottom-up here. I will need chapters with in-depth
coverage
of Mnesia, debugging and testing, profiling and optimization, etc.
What I plan
to do is write those chapters first to show progress and to gauge how
many pages
I have written.

I will then need to go back and cherry-pick stock exchange modules
that would be
a good fit for each chapter. Market data (stock quotes) distribution
would fit
right in profiling and optimization, for example.

The book needs to be about 200 pages at a minimum so I may have to
include
just the choice portions of the stock exchange software and describe
the rest
in my blog or somewhere else.

The software project does not need to end once the book is published
and I will not
be able to cover everything in the book. I will be tough to strike a
balance
but I will often ask for your feedback!

	Thanks, Joel

--