[erlang-questions] Lets build a stock exchange!

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Sun Nov 11 22:10:22 CET 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 9:43 PM, Christian S <chsu79@REDACTED> wrote:

> Anyone know a book on technical requirements that brokers put on stock
> exchanges? Order matching procedures, what information do tax offices
> want, typical features as in stop-loss rules...
>
> Oh, and yes. A stock exchange is cooler than poker.

It may very well be the case that a stock exchange is cooler than poker, but
I think that the poker server has some interesting aspects that could
inspire others. E.g., the dynamic allocation of a server to run a new table
as well as the handling of the messages between the players is similar in
nature to some of the challenges there is in telecom with regards to group
calls and where to "host" the call.

Furthermore, I would rather see a well-written book on hard-core Erlang hit
its window of opportunity than see the whole thing turn into "let's make the
coolest application that will never run in real life just in order to spice
up a programming book"-kind of projects.

A well written book with a clear example of usage including discussions
about where the general ideas can be applied is what I would bet my money
on. If a potential buyer of the hard-core Erlang book cannot abstract from
the specific case study used to teach the principles then it is time to
utter "Joe, We have a problem!" ;-)

Cheers,
Torben

P.S. My first reaction to the stock exchange idea was "Wow!! Cool!!!", but
then my analytical side issued a kill to that process for the reason listed
above.