[erlang-questions] Dynamically generated atoms get reused if they are the same?

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Mon Nov 5 23:37:05 CET 2007

Hi,

It is only an increasing number of different atoms which can cause the
VM to allocate more and more memory and sooner or later run out of
space.

So if you use list_to_atom on a limited set of values you are safe.
There is also the function list_to_existing_atom which let you convert
a string to an atom only if the atom already exist.

If for example the atoms are used as literals in the code in some module and
this module is loaded then the atoms already exist when list_to_atom
creating some
of the atoms used in the module is called.

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP team at Ericsson