[erlang-questions] Managing priority heaps.

Jérémie Lumbroso jeremie@REDACTED
Sun Nov 4 04:05:08 CET 2007

Hello,

I am trying to write a loop:

    myloop(Lists, PriorityList)

where:

  * Lists is a tuplet of a number X of lists;
  * PriorityList is a list of numbers N, such that 1 <= N <= X.

  [Y|PrioRest] = PriorityList

On every call, myloop needs to look at the first element of PriorityList,
let that element be Y, and select list Y from the tuplet Lists (i.e.:
SelectedList = element(Lists, Y) is called).

  [Fst|Rest] = SelectedList

Then myloop must take the first element Fst of SelectedList, process it,
get a new priority number Z, and reinsert the element at the *end* of the
list Z.

  A = setElement(Lists, Y, Rest);
  B = setElement(A, Z, element(A, Z) ++ [Fst]).

Once this operation is done, myloop calls itself:

  myloop(B, PrioRest ++ [Y]).

The whole purpose of this operation is to have several priorities.
PriorityList, will, for instance, be equal to [1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 3].

My myloop function is long and convoluted, and has lots of bindings, which
is quite hellish to manage.

The thing is, I assume this sort of functionality must be quite common in
Erlang's field of predilection ... and so I'm wondering if there isn't
already some module to do this.

Is there? And if not, could you help me?

Best Regards,

JL