[erlang-questions] how: logging messages to another node

Serge Aleynikov saleyn@REDACTED
Thu Nov 1 13:37:51 CET 2007

Hmm, seems like this is what you want to do:

   rpc:call(Node, erlang, whereis, [error_logger]).

on the other hand as Uffe said you can propagate the error reports to
other (e.g. backend) nodes.  In the LAMA jungerl contrib (which's a bit
outdated, as I haven't had time to upload the latest version) there's an
event handler that has similar functionality.  The idea is to use macros
in your code to report an error locally or broadcast it to error_loggers
on known nodes (code is stripped from lama/include/logger.hrl and
lama/src/lama_syslog_h.erl):

-define(ERROR(Str_, Args_),
     error_logger:error_report({lama,error}, {false, {Str_, Args_}})).
-define(DIST_ERROR(Str_, Args_),
     error_logger:error_report({lama,error}, {true, {Str_, Args_}})).

And have an error handler that would do something along the line of what
LAMA does in the distribute/2 function:

handle_event({error_report, GL, {Pid, {lama,Type}, {Distr,Report}}},
              State) ->
     % Send distributed messages to other nodes, and also if the
     % Type is in [warning,error] forward it other gen_event handlers or
     % print [info,debug] messages to screen
     distribute(Distr, {error_report, GL, {Pid,{lama,Type},Report}}, State),
     {ok, State};

distribute(false = _Distr, {_, _GL, {_Pid, {_,Type},_Rep}} = Report,
State) ->
     distribute2(Type, Report, State);
distribute(true, {_, _GL, {_Pid, {_,Type},_Rep}} = Report, State) ->
     % Make sure the other nodes don't drop this message
     DistRep = setelement(2, Report, lama),
     _       = [gen_event:notify({error_logger, N}, DistRep) || N <-
nodes()],
     distribute2(Type, Report, State).

Serge