[erlang-questions] Subtle behaviour of Erlang scheduler

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Fri May 25 18:26:49 CEST 2007

On 5/25/07, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:

> KatolaZ wrote:
> >
> > So, Ulf, do you or anybody else have any idea about this
> > strange behaviour of erl scheduler ??? I hope someone can say
> > if we hit a big-bug in the priority management system, and
> > what it the cause.
>

> No, I don't have an explanation, although I didn't
> look that hard at the problem. It did look weird.
>
> In general, one should be very careful with the
> priority levels 'high' and 'max', since they make
> it possible to starve all other processes. A high
> priority process shouldn't be able to starve
> another high priority process, obviously.

Unless "high" means "only schedule out at synchronization points".
It's not documented as such, but it sure could be given the behavior.

I guess the real question is why they think they need to use it in the
first place.

-bob