[erlang-questions] Subtle behaviour of Erlang scheduler

Jordan Wilberding diginux@REDACTED
Thu May 24 14:57:16 CEST 2007

I am definitely not a guru, but I will take my best guess at it.

My guess that it has something to do with using both
process_flag(priority, high) and having a timeout of zero in the count
receive loop. If you comment out process_flag(priority, high) in proc2/0
or you change after 0 to after 1 in count/1 the program will work.

If you look at top in linux or task manager in windows, the program runs
at nearly 100%. My guess is the proc2 is running with such a high
priority that it is hitting that after 0 every time and not giving a
chance for the proc2 ! x and proc3 ! x to be executed.

Again, I am not a guru, but this is my best guess based on the
obvservations I saw.

Thanks!
Jordan Wilberding