[erlang-questions] TCP Kernel bug/feature

Tony Finch dot@REDACTED
Thu May 17 17:02:04 CEST 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Javier París wrote:
> El Thursday 17 May 2007 13:18:24 Martin Carlson escribió:
>
> > When running node1() on one Erlang node and node2 on another this
> > creates a socket connected to itself. One can capture the socket and
> > pass data forth and back.
> >
> > netstat gives the following result:
> > tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:12345         127.0.0.1:12345
> > ESTABLISHED
> >
> > This however only seem to work on Suse 9.3 with a stock kernel and has
> > probably been fixed in newer versions of the kernel.
>
> Well, as far as I know, this is not against the RFC, so there isn't any
> reason why it shouldn't work. It's curious, tough :)

The problem is that the client connections should be using ephemeral port
numbers - there's nothing in the code that asks for a connection from port
12345.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@REDACTED>  http://dotat.at/
FAIR ISLE: EASTERLY 4 OR 5 VEERING SOUTHERLY 5 TO 7. SLIGHT OR MODERATE